Saturday, November 5, 2011

The end of the beginning

Well, yesterday was the last Friday excursion. It was definitely a bit bittersweet because while it will be nice to have an extra day off during the week, the excursions have been an awful lot of fun! Especially yesterdays!

First, we went to see the largest dolman left in Europe. Unfortunately due to its size (probably), it has fallen and is not as picturesque as some of the smaller versions. However, it was still very cool. :]





Then, we went to Ireland's Chocolate Garden! Most definitely my favoriteeee part of the trip! Not only did we get to sample free chocolate, we got to MAKE our own molded piece!







After that, we went to Rathwood for lunch. It is basically a mini mall kind of place with a nice restaurant at one end. It had a few interesting things for sale in some of the various shops, but I did not find anything I wanted to buy. Its odd, i have been in Ireland for almost 2 months now and I really haven't found any souvenirs I REALLY want to buy, for myself or for anyone back home.

Finally, we went to visit the Ring of the Rath. These HUGE stone rings are not yet fully excavated, but the two innermost are and we were able to walk through them. No one is quite sure why these rings exist, but they are very interesting nonetheless. Apparently people perform a variety of random, possibly strange activities here as well. In fact, there was a fire pit there and due to Halloween recently, we think there may have been some interesting things going on depending on who was there!







Now that the trips are over, I have more time to explore if I am able to. For example, next weekend my room mate and I are going to visit the towns of Cork and Cobh. Cobh is apparently the last harbor the Titanic was at before it left for America, so I am very interesting in going there and possibly taking a tour of some sort. I'll let you know how it goes!

Also, Andrea and I made a countdown until we will be going home. Maybe it still sounds a bit odd or depressing to some, but it has helped make us to feel a bit better. We are both still homesick and miss a lot of things, so seeing the days go by is helpful in easing our anxiety. We just took some different colored post-its and made a number line from them. We are down to 42 days now, if you were wondering again. :]

Yours Truly,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment