Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Reflecting

In my last class of the day today, I found myself looking out the window as the day melted into night. Thinking about walking home in the dark reminded me just how much I am still feeling like a foreigner in an unknown world. While I have lived here in Carlow for almost three months now, I still find myself unsure of many things. I know the layout of the town and how to care for myself, but I have not quite gotten comfortable. For example, I get nervous at the checkout counter, wondering if I will be able to understand the person I am speaking to because sometimes I can't and I feel so rude asking "what?" a bunch of times. I know once I leave this place the hard times will fall away and I will be able to see the bigger picture much clearer. I will pull out the positives much more easily. But I still wish I could do that now. However I know I must wait and let it come to me. I can't be impatient. Maybe that is one thing I have learned during my time here: patience. I thought I was good at being patient before I came here, but now I think I have become even more so. I have had to slow down my normally busy life and adjust to the more relaxed feel of Irish life. I wonder what adjusting back will be like...?

Yours Truly,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment