Thursday, November 17, 2011

30 days to go...

Over the weekend, I had a great time. My room mate, boyfriend and I took a trip down to Cork and visited Fota and Cobh while we were there. Honestly, I think it was by far the best weekend I have had since I left the United States. Cork was such a nice town where I felt much more at home than Carlow. While I can appreciate Carlow, I still feel as if it is not the right town for me. I have met some amazing people, but when I am on my own in the town, it is a different experience. Even before landing in Ireland, I was told by the Irish couple I sat next to on the plane that Carlow was a "college town." While this may be the perfect place for some, I am finding it is not what I wanted when I left the states. There was a reason I attended Carlow University, it was a small, friendly, dry campus school with a community where I could find people similar to me. Living in Carraig Abhainn and being in the center of a "college town" makes me feel on edge the way I know I would have felt going to a bigger school where partying is more the thing to do.

Anyway, I got a little off track. My weekend was fantastic. We visited Fota and Cobh on Saturday and there were many moments that I had wished would never end. In Fota, we went to the wildlife park where many animals can freely roam the park. It was the most amazing experience I have had in a long time. Andrea and I fed a group of ducks and saw many animals that I have never seen in person before. At one point, we even saw a few mother bison protecting their young which was definitely a unique experience. When we left Fota, we visited Cobh, which is the very last place the Titanic stopped before its final journey. I was amazed at how small the town was, and with all of the history within it it felt as though every turn offered something to see. At the top of the town, there is a cathedral. When we paused to sit on the stairs and look down at the town and the area around it, I felt completely at ease.

I think I will write more about this later, as well as revise what I have written. I am having some trouble concentrating on what I want to say about my weekend. Although I am not sure when I will. Due to the stress and homesickness I am still experiencing, I am finding it difficult to accomplish many simple things I do on a normal basis. I feel I am slacking on this blog and struggling to keep myself focused when it comes to school. I am hoping I can pick myself up a little in order to finish this trip strong rather than as the disorganized mess I feel I am at the current time.

Hopefully the pumpkin pie I plan to make tomorrow (thank you Sister Mary for the pumpkin! Could not do it without you!) will help me to feel better. I love pumpkin. :]

Yours truly,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment