Saturday, November 26, 2011

Turkey, Mashed potatoes and more!

Well Thursday was Thanksgiving, in the states at least. However due to all of us Americans being here, Sister Mary, Padraigin, and Eric put together a little get together for us. And when I say little, I mean HUGE. Sister Mary must have spent ALL day cooking, because when we got to her house, her counter was absolutely covered in goodies! I don't know how she did it all on her own, but she did a wonderful job. And Eric made green bean casserole for the first time in his life, which turned out amazing! I couldn't have asked for a better Thanksgiving considering how far away from home I currently am.

Patriotism is something I feel like I sort of take for granted. Back home, it is just one of those things you do. You watch the flag so it doesn't touch the ground and you honor what it stands for and who fought for it. However the idea of patriotism is very different here. I am not 100% sure how they see it, but I can tell it is not as deeply rooted as ours. The most obvious thing I noticed from Thursday, because we had a few Irish girls join us, was the way they handled their flag. They simply took hold of it, sat on the ground and sprawled it across themselves. The most interesting thing was that they held it backwards! As in the colors went orange, white, green when they normally are ordered the opposite. I don't even think anyone noticed until I looked at the pictures again. Just some food for thought when I go back home and see our flag everywhere!



Life has been pretty quiet since Thanksgiving. I have finally gotten a start on some of my upcoming assignments. I have 2 papers to write, a few exams to study for and a presentation to put together. So, it seems I will be busy in these last 21 days. Not that I am complaining. I want the days to fall away so I can spend some much needed time back home. Not that I am not appreciating this opportunity, but I still desperately miss home, friends, family and the like.

Yours Truly,
Alicia Welty

No comments:

Post a Comment