Saturday, October 1, 2011

 Another long week down. I am still trying to accomplish my goal of one whole week where life in Ireland feels like an adventure rather than a struggle. Why is it a struggle, you may ask. Well, I have found that I am having trouble adjusting to the culture, a new room mate, being away from people I can trust, etc. Sometimes you simply do not realize all that you have until everything is turned around. I find I am missing home much more than I imagined. While Ireland is great and I know I will slowly find things to enjoy, I find that I would really like to grab a bowl of applesauce and watch a movie on the couch or wander the mall with friends. These things are kind of hard to find in Ireland. The only apple sauce I can find is bramely applesauce which has an odd color and the label reads "goes great with pork!" Due to this, I am a bit intimidated to try it. And as far as movies go, there isn't a channel on tv for them and I didn't bring dvd's. Finally, the only thing I can call a mall here does not really have any stores I am drawn to explore. Maybe I will find more luck in other cities here.
Which leads me to something I am excited for. Today I booked a hotel for myself and my boyfriend for a weekend in Dublin! We will be leaving Carlow Town for Dublin on October 21st and staying until the 23rd. I can not wait to explore one of the biggest cities in Ireland and hopefully find some stores with clothes I would like to wear! There is also a Harley Davidson store there! Can't wait!!

As far as exploring went, our weekly excursion took us to Wexford. While we were there, we walked through the Irish Heritage Trail and learned a lot about Ireland's known history. As it turns out, much of Irish history is a mystery. Before the stone age, the tools, clothing, etc of the people were made of organic materials that have decayed away. However, what we do know of the history here is still very interesting. From the Celts to the Vikings, Ireland has seen its fair share of turmoil and change.
After the history lesson, we traveled to the beach. And not just any beach, but the beach where Saving Private Ryan was filmed. I personally have not seen this film, but I can see why they chose that beach. When you stand between the dunes and the endless ocean, and breathe a fresh breath of air, life somehow gains a new perspective. It unexplainable and magical. It is something that everyone should experience. I found that I was able to let go of a lot of stress and let it fly off into the wind. And when the rain started to get a bit intense, I could feel some of my fears wash away.


Unlike my time at the beach, I am currently finding it difficult to clear my head and get this blog post written. For that reason, I will bid you adeiu for now and write some more soon!

Yours truly,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment